A VERY SPECIAL INSTRUMENT
A rare Wurlitzer Starke harp, dating from the 1920s, was recovered from the abandoned Camp Hill home of Eugenie Pauly
(1895-1989). Eugenie's husband George Pauly was a renowned architect who co-designed the Harrisburg State Museum and
the Dauphin County Courthouse. After the couple and their children passed away, their home on North 24th Street fell into
severe disrepair and was eventually auctioned and destroyed. Before the house was razed, the Historical Society recovered artifacts from
the Pauly family, including George's architectural drawings and Eugenie's rare harp, sitting in a living room amid broken window glass
and debris. Amazingly, the harp, although exposed to the elements for many years, remained intact. Now fully restored and playable,
the harp is one of the only Wurlitzer Starke models still in existence!
A VERY SPECIAL EVENING
To celebrate the revival of this marvelous harp, harpists from Central Pennsylvania presented a "golden era gala"
featuring performances on the Wurlitzer.
Everyone enjoyed an elegant evening that hearkened back to the height of Eugenie's career in the 1930s and 1940s, with a reception that featured
delightful hors d'oeuvres and desserts from Camp Hill's leading restaurants followed by a special concert that featured:
Classical and romantic harp selections by Dr. Jessica Suchy-Pilalis of Camp Hill and Elizabeth Bashore of Lewisberry.
Harp and flute duets by Hannah Eagleson and Nathan Eagleson of Hershey.
Sacred and Celtic harp selections by Mary-Kate Lee of Harrisburg.
Songs of the jazz age and Hollywood's golden era by Louis Lynch of Camp Hill.
Special guest vocalists Jane Ellen Varner and Celia Lerner.